Oxycodone Overdose: The Risks and Effects

Ingesting a high dose of Oxycodone, either intentionally or accidentally, can lead to serious consequences, including overdose, coma, and/or death. This guide is for information purposes only and should not be used in case of an emergency.

If you suspect you or someone else has overdosed, call your local emergency hotline (ex. 911) or a poison control center (1-800-222-1222) immediately.


Signs of oxycodone overdose

  • Constipation
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • GI tract spasms
  • Low blood pressure, weak pulse
  • Lack of responsiveness, even to painful stimuli
  • Constricted pupils (non-reactive to light)
  • Cyanosis (blue colored fingernails, lips)
  • Difficult to wake up; extreme sedation
  • Coma
  • Seizures
  • Respiratory arrest (slow, shallow breathing or no breathing at all)


What to do if someone is overdosing on Oxycodone

If you suspect you or someone else has overdosed, call your local emergency hotline (ex. 911) or a poison control center (1-800-222-1222) immediately, as overdose can lead to widespread organ injury and/or death if not handled quickly. It is helpful to know the strength of the ingested drug, as well as the time it was taken, the amount taken, and whether or not it was prescribed. The operator will also likely ask for the person’s age, weight, and current condition.

If you are trained in the administration of fast-acting opioid antagonist drugs such as naloxone, you should take the appropriate steps as soon as symptoms appear.


Continue Reading

Next Up: Oxycodone Addiction - What To Do Next