Sober dating without alcohol doesn’t have to be as hard as it sounds. There are plenty of booze-free date options out there if you use your imagination and a little creativity.
Whether you’re on an alcohol hiatus, are in recovery, have been sober for years, or are new to the game, dating without alcohol can be even more fun than going out with a drink in hand.
There are many misconceptions about alcohol-free dating. It may seem like most people on the dating scene aren’t sober, but in reality nearly one-third of Americans are completely sober and another third consume less than one alcoholic drink per week. If you have hesitations about sober dating, you’re not alone in the game.
Why You Don’t Need Alcohol to Have Fun on a Sober Date
With 30 percent of the country sober it’s not hard to find someone who would be willing to go on an alcohol free date with you. If you’ve ever attended a sober event, like a party, a meetup, or even a group therapy session, you know that drinking alcohol and having fun are not always linked.
When it comes to dating without alcohol, there are plenty of ways to have a great time with your significant other. Whether it’s a first date or fiftieth, having fun without drinking is easy to do. Plus, without alcohol inhibiting your motor skills you’re less likely to make a fool of yourself in front of your date, say something embarrassing, or do something you would regret the next morning.
An alcohol free date can give you the opportunity to genuinely connect and get to know the other person you’re with on a deeper level. Below are 20 sober date ideas that you can easily pull off at a moment’s notice while having fun without a drink in sight.
A list of 20 alcohol-free, sober dating ideas
- Dinner and a Movie: This classic combination is just as easily done sober as it is with alcohol involved. The biggest hurdle you’ll have to climb is at dinner. When asked if you want to see the wine or drink menu, a polite no should do the trick. At the movie, replacing alcohol with a soda and popcorn can ensure a great time.
- Out for Coffee: Most dates are centered around drinking or eating, which is why it’s so common for alcohol to be involved with dating. An easy way to avoid alcohol is to replace it with something else, like coffee. Going out for coffee provides an intimate atmosphere perfect for having great conversations over lattes.
- Amusement Park: High thrill roller coasters are sure to get your heart racing and your adrenaline pumping—a perfect way to keep your mind off the lack of alcohol available. It’s almost impossible to not have a great time with your date at an amusement park with the endless options for rides, food, and games available. Find the closest amusement park to you and beat the crowds by going on a weekday or during off season.
- Hiking: Take a breath of fresh air and go explore the great outdoors with your sweetheart. Hiking is the perfect sober date idea that combines scenic views of nature and exercise. Whether you take on an all day excursion or just a walk around the park trail, hiking is a great way for you to connect with nature.
- Outdoor Concert: Check your city or county website for information on free outdoor concerts. Most large cities put on these fun live music events during the warm months of the year. This sober date is budget friendly and provides a great change of scenery from usual music venues like bars and clubs. It’s a perfect place to discover new bands in an alcohol free and family friendly environment.
- PutPut: Getting a little competitive on a sober date can be fun and liven things up. PutPut is the perfect activity to challenge your partner and incorporate some friendly competition into the date. The plus side? Miniature golf courses often don’t sell or allow alcohol on premise, and you don’t need it to have fun at the tee!
- Trivia Night: While a lot of trivia nights are hosted at bars or restaurants, that doesn’t mean you have to avoid all sights of alcohol to enjoy a fun sober date. Going to your neighborhood’s local trivia night is an excellent way to work together with your date to win a prize! The more the merrier, so invite your friends along for a double date to up your odds of winning.
- Comedy Show: The best thing about comedy shows is that they’re designed to ensure a good time. Going to a comedy or improv show ensures laughs and giggles with your date without the help of alcohol.
- Bowling: Going retro is a fun way to do something out of the ordinary with your sober date. Dress up in your hippest sock hop gear and get ready to knock down some pins. The bowling alley is the perfect place to kick back, relax, and get a little competitive on a sober date.
- Ice Skating: Even if you are the least graceful person on the planet, ice skating is a fun way to get in touch with your inner child. Most ice skating rinks are open year round, so feel free to go on this sober date in the middle of July!
- Food Festival: If you live near a large city, chances are there’s a food festival coming your way soon. Food festivals allow you and your date to try new and interesting foods from around the world all in one convenient location. It’s the perfect excuse to pig out. And most importantly, no alcohol required.
- Take a Class: Taking a class with your date is an exciting way to try something new together. Whether it’s painting or karate, there are endless options for interesting classes you can try.
- Visit a Museum: Whether you love art, science, or history, there’s a museum out there for everyone’s taste. Find out what interests you and your date have in common and take advantage of the educational collections your local museums have to offer.
- Have a Picnic: There’s nothing more romantic than dining on fancy cheeses and finger sandwiches while laying underneath a beautiful tree. The next time you’re struggling to think of a special sober date idea, there’s no going wrong with a classic picnic in the park.
- Rock Climbing: If you’re an adrenaline junkie or just like to get in your weekly exercise, rock climbing is the a great sober date that kills two birds with one stone. If you’ve never done it before or you’re a rock climbing expert, it’s a surefire way to have a fun and sweaty time with your date.
- Cook Dinner at Home: Showing off your cooking skills to your date is a great way to impress them. Pick out your favorite recipe, light some candles, and have a romantic dinner at home. This is the perfect low key sober date activity that gives you total control over the food and atmosphere.
- Go to a Game: Sporting events aren’t hard to find. Whether it’s a professional, college, or high school game, taking your date out to the ball field means delicious concession snacks and a chance to cheer for your favorite team.
- Hit Up a Fair: Cotton candy and ferris wheels are just a few of the highlights you can find when you visit your local fair. Fairs are a magical setting for a romantic and sober date night with your sweetheart.
- Have a Game Night: If you and your date are feeling lazy and just want to stay in, breaking out the board games can be a fun way to disconnect from technology and spend some quality, alcohol free time together. Break out the Scrabble and the snacks for a wholesome good time.
- Go Dancing: Dancing doesn’t have to be limited to the club. There are many other places where you can enjoy dancing sober. Try taking a lesson at a local studio or cranking up the stereo at home to create your very own dance party.
No matter what sober date you end up choosing, it’s important to keep in mind that it’s possible to still have a great time without alcohol involved. So put away your misconceptions and get ready to have an amazing sober night out with your date!